Mental health champions is an independently evaluated programme to develop the knowledge and skills of teachers, proven to increase confidence and job satisfaction. The programme and workshops are highly interactive and participative, drawing on Place2Be’s first-hand experience of delivering mental health support inside schools.
Teachers will have:
- An increased awareness and understanding of children’s mental health
- Practical techniques to manage behaviour
- Confidence in their ability to support children and families and
- Increased self-awareness and understanding of the impact of their own behaviours/emotions on children and families
- Improved listening skills
What are the benefits?
The programme provides teachers with an opportunity to reflect on their practice and to consider how to improve their professional skills and knowledge.
Participants gain practical knowledge and skills that they can apply in the classroom:
- gaining a better understanding of child development
- feeling better equipped with practical skills and strategies to support children
- being better able to identify pupils that might need to be referred for additional support
- improved personal wellbeing
- a positive impact on pupil behaviour
Impact evaluation for the programme will be carried out through:
- Base-line measurement of current understanding
- Follow-up questionnaires – at the end of the workshops and final consultation
Impact review takes place 6-9 months after the programme ends, allowing an understanding of the longer term impact through participants using the learning in the classroom.
Who is it for?
Class teachers wishing to develop in the area of mental health.
The programme consists of four half day training workshops and up to three personalised consultation sessions, lasting up to 90 minutes and held over two terms. It is delivered to teachers across a cluster of neighboring schools and involves peer to peer shared learning and networking.
For more information
Place2Be, The Melting Pot, Rose Street, Edinburgh EH2 2PR